There is broad agreement that private philanthropic investment is poised to have an increasingly important impact across world regions. Yet those who seek to optimize the impact of philanthropy and social investing are hindered by a lack of reliable data and knowledge regarding philanthropic resources and trends.
A unique global initiative led by the Hauser Institute will address this knowledge gap. With global leadership and collaboration, the initiative seeks to develop a knowledge base regarding the size, scope, and practice of institutional philanthropy within individual countries and across the globe. Findings will be widely disseminated through the Global Philanthropy Report (GPR), providing first-of-its-kind data on institutional philanthropic capital in countries throughout the world and analysis of worldwide giving practices, trends, and innovations.
Researchers at the Hauser Institute will work with experts and researchers in countries around the world to access existing data, develop new data and knowledge, and create a framework through which to understand and compare global philanthropic capital flows and practices. Specific objectives are to:
- track and map institutional philanthropic data at the national level;
- aggregate data, compare it across countries, and disseminate it as a public good through the Global Philanthropy Report; and
- build the capacity of organizations within individual countries to provide ongoing and regular information on the national philanthropic sector.
Description of RA Duties: The Research Assistant will be involved in a wide range of research including review and summary of existing surveys and reports on institutional philanthropy, landscape scans of institutional philanthropy at the national level, gathering existing national economic/social data, and related efforts. In addition the RA will assist with some administrative tasks such as formatting and revising documents, maintaining contact lists, and other administrative duties, as needed.
Requirements: The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Ability to devote 5-10 hours per week to the project (flexible)
- Excellent attention to detail, punctuality, and professionalism
- Ability to work independently and manage time efficiently
- Interest or experience in philanthropy and social investment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and data management a plus